Saturday, February 25, 2012

Library Haul -- February 2012

I don’t know about you but I tend to overborrow from the library.

If you’re an avid reader, you know how it is. You get into a library and are overcome with the possibilities. I’m on a neverending search for the next great book love affair.  I want to read some good standby authors but I also want to branch out and find new loves and new voices to hear (or read).

When I am in a mood, I just start grabbing. I peruse many different sections, reading the covers to see if it is something that could peak my interest. Sometimes, I edit my selection and put a few back. Or in my case on Thursday, I borrow everything that looks good.

I was just going to get Tina Fey’s Bossypants that came in and was finally mine for up to three weeks. While there, I went into a frenzy. So many choices.  I ended up taking four books home total, all for different reasons. Borrowing four books to add to the two I had already out that I hadn’t read yet, wasn’t my sanest moment. I’m a slow reader compared to the avid badass I-read-several-books-a-month-under-24-hours reader. Still, it’s a challenge.

Behold my bevy of bounty:

Personal Photo
Here are my choices (and possible future reviews):

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray: I’ve been wanting to read this one for a while. It has a gorgeous cover and sounds interesting. I got this a week ago but it’s an honor book so no rush! Nutshell: Girl from the Victorian age gets sent to bordering school. Girl has supernatural powers. Stuff happens.

The Moment by Douglas Kennedy: This is a book I knew nothing about until I pulled it from the New Books section. I got this a week ago and it’s a thick one so it’s next on the reading list. Nutshell: Guy is getting divorced and is down. He gets a parcel from an old German love. I might learn something about the Berlin Wall.

The Wives of Henry Oades by Johanna Moran: You had me at bigamy. One of the ones I got on the library trip that shall be now referred to as “The Incident.” Nutshell: Guy is married and has children. Guy thinks wife and kids die. Guy falls in love and marries again. However, his first wife is not dead.  Bigamy.

31 Dates in 31 Days by Tamara Duricka Johnson: I love me a good dating book although I’m in a committed long-term relationship. I got this because I couldn’t pass up the chance to read about dating. I got this during “The Incident.” Nutshell: Woman is picky and desperate, similar to other single women in their thirties. She decides to go on a dating experiment, going on thirty-one first dates in a row. What will happen?

Bossypants by Tina Fey: Got this during “The Incident.” Expect review soon.

Of All the Stupid Things by Alexandra Diaz: This was my wildcard pick. It’s YA, so there’s a good chance it’s bad. However, seeing a YA novel try to discuss the complexities of being a gay teenager, well, I was curious. Nutshell: Girl’s boyfriend is rumored to have cheated on her with another guy. Now, she thinks another girl is cute. Or does she?

There you go folks. What books did you get recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment